Current:Home > StocksJuan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains -RiskWatch
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:40:41
NEW YORK – This was not a pretty sight for Yankees Universe.
On the other side of town, Juan Soto beamed in his brand-new Mets jersey while a parade of Mets’ employees applauded, and a line of Mets’ officials offered their praise.
Those loyal to the Bronx pinstripes won’t care to hear Soto’s high opinion of the Mets’ future, or how much more comfortable Soto and his family feel in Queens.
This was a rare Yankee defeat, and “a huge day for the Mets,’’ said owner Steve Cohen, who thanked Soto and his agent Scott Boras “for believing in what we’re building.’’
Even in losing one of the most elite hitters in generations – someone they only had for a season – the Yanks’ championship goal remains unchanged.
Follow every MLB game:Latest MLB scores, stats, schedules and standings.
They’ll just have to find another way, and maybe learn something about themselves from this process.
Was it simply that Soto took the higher offer, $765 million over 15 years with escalators and an opt-out clause vs. $760 million over 16 years?
“I’ll be eager to hear what made this decision for him,’’ said Mets GM David Stearns, who termed it “not just a baseball decision but a family decision’’ for Soto.
Fallout:'Disappointed' Yankees have no regrets on how Juan Soto situation unfolded, Cashman says
During a celebratory Thursday afternoon at Citi Field, the concept of the Mets’ bright future, and Soto’s place in it, became a theme.
According to Boras, the Yankees made no missteps in their negotiations.
“They stepped up,’’ Boras said of owner Hal Steinbrenner and company. “They really made themselves known in this process.’’
So, if it wasn’t completely about the respect shown Soto by having the top dollar offer, what else put the Mets over the top?
At that record-setting MLB salary figure, Boras advised Soto to “spend the time you need to talk about these other considerations’’ beyond the contract amount.
Soto’s large family – what Boras termed “the Supreme Court of Soto’’ – played a major role in his decision, which “came down to the last day,’’ according to Soto.
Several times, Cohen’s wife, Alex, was credited for her important role in this process. A philanthropist, Alex Cohen has a Latin heritage, comes from a working-class family.
But at one point during the negotiations, Stearns felt the Mets had less than a 50% chance of landing Soto.
“We knew he had a good experience (in the Bronx),’’ said Stearns, who “talked a lot about our approach to roster building’’ with Soto, and about the Mets’ system.
Say it ain't Soto:What's next for Yankees after losing out on Juan Soto to Mets?
The Dodgers, Red Sox and Blue Jays were also in the running, and Soto’s team wouldn’t define a runner-up in this race – just that the Mets had won it, with a convincing pitch about their future together.
Boras laughed a little, recalling how the Mets completed their initial video presentation to Soto last month.
Next to the Tom Seaver statue outside of Citi Field, there was a superimposed statue of Soto.
Maybe the Yankees should’ve superimposed Soto’s plaque in Monument Park. Maybe they did – who knows?
And who knows what, other than the top bid, the Yanks might’ve done to land Soto?
“I feel like they did everything that they had in their power to help me out, to bring me back,’’ said Soto. “I had (another) four teams doing the same thing,’’ but ultimately, “I think we have the best chance here.’’
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (343)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Phil Donahue, whose pioneering daytime talk show launched an indelible television genre, has died
- What advice does Little League's Coach of the Year have for your kid? 'Let's EAT!'
- Donald Trump posts fake Taylor Swift endorsement, Swifties for Trump AI images
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- What time is the 'Love Island USA' Season 6 reunion? Cast, where to watch and stream
- Another Braves calamity: Austin Riley has broken hand, out for rest of regular season
- Phil Donahue, whose pioneering daytime talk show launched an indelible television genre, has died
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Pioneering daytime TV host Phil Donahue dies at 88
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Alabama says law cannot block people with certain felony convictions from voting in 2024 election
- A West Texas ranch and resort will limit water to residents amid fears its wells will run dry
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Cutting the Cards
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Want to be in 'Happy Gilmore 2' with Adam Sandler? Try out as an extra
- Patrick Mahomes' Pregnant Wife Brittany Mahomes Shares Results of Pelvic Floor Work After Back Injury
- 1 person is killed and 5 others are wounded during a bar shooting in Mississippi’s capital
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Mother arrested on murder charge days after baby’s hot car death
University of Wisconsin president wants $855 million in new funding to stave off higher tuition
Maker of prepared meals will hire 300 new workers in $6 million Georgia expansion
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
How Nevada aims to increase vocational education
A North Carolina woman dies after going on a Vodou retreat in Haiti. Her son wants answers.
South Dakota Supreme Court denies bid to exclude ballots initially rejected from June election